Between the Light and the Darkness - Chapter 16 - Truth and Consequences

>> Sunday, June 22, 2008

"What!?"

While Tim stood there with his mouth gaping open, Ileeya took the water pitcher and sat down, back against the wall. She took a long drink before starting her tale.



"It was a lot of fun growing up with a twin sister."


"We used to play tricks on friends who could never tell us apart. We were very close."


"Our father was a warrior, and couldn't wait to shove a sword into our hands. It didn't matter to him that he had no sons - he wanted to share his knowledge with us. I loved it, the feel of the sword in my hand and the cool breeze against my face, the flowers still wet with dew in the early morning, bright sunshine in a crisp blue sky. The way father smiled at me so proudly when I did well...it was a great time. But Shirra didn't think so. She never seemed to be cut out for athletic pursuits. She preferred reading indoors than to swordplay out in the sun. Shirra took a liking to magic and started studying it in secret because father refused to let her practice it."

"She began to resent father for not giving up on her when she wanted to quit. He thought magic was a waste of time. 'A strong warrior doesn't need magic to aid him', he'd always tell us. 'Let your sword do your talking.'

We were always grouped together. Birthdays, celebrations, schooling. It was always 'the girls' this and 'the girls' that, never 'Ileeya did this while Shirra did that.' I enjoyed sword fighting, so father made us both continue. Shirra really hated him for that."


"I can't put my finger on exactly when it happened, but Shirra began changing. She didn't enjoy the same things anymore, she grew impatient and hateful. We began to drift apart. She would constantly challenge and rebel against our parents. I can't believe some of the things she used to say to them. Heartless things. My mother used to cry herself to sleep most nights. Father didn't know what to do."


"Shirra started using her knowledge in magic for the wrong reasons, usually to cause discomfort to another. Rashes, bug bites, things like that. She wouldn't admit to it, of course, but I knew my sister."


"Gradually, she grew more aggressive with her powers. She started killing small animals, and delighted in making people sick."


"Our mother became very ill, she was bedridden for weeks. We thought she would die."

"Father accused Shirra of being behind it and sent her away. She claimed innocence, but he wouldn't have it."



"She begged him on her knees to let her stay, and that she would try to help mother with her magic. Father refused - and scorned her for even suggesting it."


"She vowed she'd be back and we would all pay. Her face was so black that day. She was so mad. Shaking with rage. But underneath I could see the pain. I felt really bad for her, I hadn't really believed she made mother sick, but I was relieved to see her go. The house had been in turmoil for years, and this promised relief."


"And for a couple of years, everything was so peaceful. Shirra was practically forgotten. Father and I continued our lessons. I started seeing one of the boys from the village...", fresh tears started to stream down her face. She wiped them away with a shaky hand and continued. "His name was Malir.


"He was a childhood friend of both Shirra and myself. We both had a crush on him. He was so handsome with his smooth golden skin, straw colored hair, and bright green eyes. He had so much promise." She giggled and said, "Shirra and I had promised to share him when we grew up, switch places so we could both have a turn in case he liked one of us better than the other. It was a silly girl thing, we were just children."

"When Malir and I grew past adolescence, we started seeing each other on a regular basis. I was very happy. Happier than I had ever been before. Our relationship grew very serious. There was talk of marriage."


"One day, Shirra came back, as she had promised. I didn't even know her. She was so different. She looked the same, but everything else about her was different. So...evil. She told me she'd come back for revenge. She wanted Malir..." her voice started to shake and she took a moment to compose herself.


"I refused to give him up. She got really angry and promised she would take him anyway."


"That night, while everyone was sleeping, a freak fire set the entire village ablaze. Many, many people died in that accident; my parents and grandparents, neighbors, friends."


"I managed to get out, and when I did, Shirra was standing there, laughing. I was disgusted and horrified. And mad."


" 'I told you," she said, 'I told you I'd seek revenge.'

And then I saw him. Malir was standing a few feet behind her. He was alive!"


"I ran to him, but he wouldn't answer. He wouldn't look at me. I kept calling to him, it was like his mind had just...stopped."


" 'What did you do to him?' I yelled at Shirra.

'He's mine, now,' she said. 'I took his memories of you away from him.' "


"I looked back at Malir, at his vacant eyes reflecting the light of the burning village. His once beautiful eyes, that shone like pale green gems when he looked at me...now saw nothing.

Shirra walked over to him then."

Ileeya's voice filled with rage and her eyes grew dark with hatred as she talked. "She walked up beside him and kissed him on the cheek.

'Does it bother you to see him this way, sister dear?' she asked me.

'Why would you do this?'

She laughed. 'You can have him back, if you wish. All you have to do is come with me.'

'Where?' "



" 'To the other side, of course. Let me show you what it's like to have real power. With your sword skill and my magic, we could be formidable, indeed.' "


" 'You disgust me.' I told her, 'How could you do this? How could you kill our whole village? All our friends? People we grew up with? Our parents? You're a freak! I'll never join with you!' "


"Her eyes turned black. 'So,'she said, 'you're rejecting me too? First our friends, then our own parents, and then Malir. Sweet Malir,' she said as she ran a finger down the side of his face. 'That's right, sister, I came to Malir. I tried to persuade him to come with me. But he rejected me, too. And now my own sister.' She pulled out a dagger..."

Ileeya began to talk breathlessly, barely able to keep from hyperventilating.


"She took out a dagger," she continued, "and before I could stop her, she slit Malir's throat. His blood gushed out everywhere as he fell to the ground. She started laughing! I had never felt so much hate for anyone

"I lunged at her, knocking the dagger out of her hand. We fought for what seemed like an eternity."



"I managed to get it away from her and...and...," she choked back a sob, "I killed her. I buried the dagger in her chest up to the hilt."


She looked at Tim, her eyes pleading, "I didn't want it to end that way. You have to believe me. I loved my sister. But I had no choice. It was either her or me," she broke into hysterical sobs.


"I'm sorry, Malir! I'm so so sorry."


Oh boy. Tim never would have expected such a horrid tale from such a seemingly innocent young woman. No wonder she didn't want to share this story.

For a moment, Tim did nothing. Just stood there and tried to absorb everything Ileeya had told him. Then common sense took over. He embraced her, clutching her tightly as she sobbed. He just held her, with her head pressed against his chest, for several minutes. He smoothed her hair down and kissed the top of her head.



"Now you know the truth," she whispered, pulling back from him.

Tim felt a stab of guilt at this. He was the reason she was in so much pain right now.

"It wasn't your fault, Ileeya. Nothing you could have done would have changed anything."


"I know. But that doesn't make it any easier. I still have nightmares about it a lot. For days after that I wandered aimlessly. That's when I stepped into the portal. I was too numb to be scared. I didn't really care what happened to me. I had nothing to live for. I had lost everything that was important to me. Gradually, I accepted what happened, and learned that life was worth living again. I made a few friends and shared my fighting skills with them, when requested."


She gave him a small smile and brushed some of the hair out of his eyes. They stood in the comfort of each other's arms, eyes locked.


"Just for the record," she said in her sweet voice, "I love you, too." His heart leapt for joy as he placed his hand on her head, under her hair and pulled her to him. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, one hand in his hair and the other across his strong back. They shared a tender kiss, then retreated to their beds.

In a few short moments she was sleeping lightly. She must be exhausted. It had been an emotionally taxing evening. Tim, however, could not claim sleep, even after more than an hour.



While her breathing gradually grew deeper, Tim leaned against the door mulling over her tale. What a horrific thing to have gone through. To lose so many of the people you loved, and under such dire circumstances. At the hands of your own sister! Tim didn't think any less of her for killing Shirra. She definitely deserved it.


He paced restlessly as he thought about the nightmares he had after he had gotten here. They almost made some sense. Especially the one he had where he was in the dark and quiet village, only to find all the town's residents in a heap. The woman standing there, that must have been Shirra. The bodies going up in flames obviously represented what had happened that night. Shirra turning into a demon must be because she had opened herself up to evil, and became, in essence, a monster.


The other dreams, the first one where Ileeya was an angel and then turned into a demon, didn't make a whole lot of sense, but then again, most dreams didn't. Maybe it wasn't Ileeya, but Shirra the whole time. She had been a good person before she started changing. Tim wondered what had happened in Shirra's life to make her change so drastically. The dream where Shirra was on the black horse and killed Ileeya did make sense. It represented what really happened; Shirra had tried to kill Ileeya.


But why was he having these dreams? Were they subconscious messages to him from Ileeya? Gertie had said Ileeya had great power, then it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for Ileeya to have sent these messages to him. But why? To tell him about her past? That didn't sound right. To ask you for help. That did sound right. But what kind of help? And how was he supposed help her realize her potential? Just come right out and tell her? Would she even believe him?

Frustrated, Tim took a deep breath and gazed upon his sleeping angel. She stirred up passions in him he didn't even know he had. No woman had ever made him feel so alive. He'd had relationships before, but they never lasted long. None of the women he had dated for more than a week really got his blood flowing like Ileeya did. He really wanted to help her, but didn't know how. Tim hoped he would find the answers to all his questions soon.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


"AAAAAUUUUUGGGG!!! How could you let this happen, Jondak?" Shirra screamed as she flung a heavy bookend at him.


He dodged it easily, anticipating it. Jondak was in Shirra's dwelling again, and, begrudgingly, had just told her about Tim and Ileeya's kiss in the courtyard. He knew she'd be furious, and that she'd blame him. He considered not telling her, but he knew she'd find out if he were lying. And the punishment would be severe.


"That little slut is going to ruin everything!"

Jondak remained quiet, so as not to fan the flames of her rage.

"Do you understand what's at stake here? I know I asked you to back off, but I didn't think the little strumpet would ensnare him so quickly. That's just going to make my job more difficult. "


"You're going to need to remedy this situation. But don't kill him. He's mine."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next day was a field day. The time had come for the field to be planted again. Tim, for once, was not bothered by the toiling in the hard dirt, nor the hot sun blazing upon his back and neck. And when the planting came to an end, Tim whistled to himself as he scrubbed the sweat and muck from his body. Life was different when you were in love. Even if you were in love with a nonhuman on an alien world.



After the men and women had gone to their separate bathhouses to wash up, they went to the dining hall, as usual. It wasn't ten minutes into the meal when he looked up and saw Jondak sitting next to Ileeya, being his usual annoying self. Then he rested his hand on top of hers.


Tim stiffened. This, he would not tolerate.


He got up and when she saw him, Ileeya pleaded with her eyes for him not to intervene. Tim decided to regardless. He walked over to where Jondak was sitting.

"Heya, Jondak. I believe you're in my seat."

"That's funny," said Jondak in his thick accent, "you don't usually sit here."


"Well, I decided that this will be my seat from now on. I'm asking you nicely to move," Tim said with a confidence he didn't feel.

Jondak stood up. "Are you telling me I can't sit where I want?"



"I don't care where you sit, Jondak, as long as you don't sit here."


Ileeya piped up at this point, "Tim, stop acting like a jealous boyfriend."

Tim looked at her. "I am a jealous boyfriend."


"Did you hear that? It sounds as if Tim owns you, Ileeya," Jondak said with a sneer.

"Nobody owns me, Tim."

Not taking his eyes off Jondak Tim said, "I'm aware of that, Ileeya, but Jondak doesn't have the right to hassle you everyday at lunch."

Jondak feigned astonishment, "Me? Hassle her? She enjoys my visits. Don't you, Ileeya?"



"How can she possibly enjoy your visit when you're breathing down her neck? She can't even eat her lunch because you're always there, grabbing at her, blowing in her ear...,"


"Tim, please..."

"All the lady has to do is ask me to leave if she doesn't enjoy my company," Jondak interrupted.

All the people in the lunch room stopped eating to listen. Even the guards were paying attention, debating on whether they should break it up or not. They decided not. It was starting to get entertaining.

"Would you actually leave if she asked you to, Jondak? Because I kind of get the impression you're pretty stubborn."


"Will you guys please stop it?" Ileeya asked them both.

"I don't see how this is any of your business, Tim. This is between Ileeya and myself," Jondak said.

"I'm speaking on her behalf," Tim replied.

"I don't need you to protect me, Tim."


"There. You see?" Jondak told Tim with the arrogance that was as much a part of him as his head. "You're not necessary to this conversation. I suggest you leave."


Tim drew himself up. "I'm not going anywhere. You're the one who should be leaving. Ileeya is spoken for."


"That's enough, Tim. You're embarrassing me."


"Yes, Tim, you're embarrassing me, too. Run along, now, human."

As a reply, Tim punched Jondak square in the jaw. Jondak staggered back but retained his footing. Tim closed the distance and slugged him again. Jondak repaid him with a punch in the stomach.



And the fight was on. The entire lunchroom was gathered around them now, watching with fascination. The guards watched with interest, as well, and let it go on for several minutes to see if the situation would resolve itself.


Tim got in a few good punches, as did Jondak. Ileeya looked like she didn't know either one of them. The guards, seeing this going on and on, decided to finally separate the two.


Both men had blood coming from various parts of their faces. The guards apprehended them both and took them to separate punishment cells.


Tim's cell was almost pitch black and he was served only water. He cursed himself for his temper and wondered how long he was going to be stuck in here.

15 comments:

scarlet_white June 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

You did a lovely backtory for the sisters, and I do agree with tims impression, shirra is not a demon sort of being or she has a pact with a supernatural force that granted her life, or she somehow use a trick to escape death.

Grapgically that part was lovely as well and a bit sad how Shirra was thrown out of her house, it was nice and action packed her comeback and I completely understand Ileeya's purposes for what she did.

Great installment and even as there is a violence warning it is pretty much acceptable as depicted here.

Great installment, and I think I might even be one of the first ones to comment. Great job overall

S@n June 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM  

Wonderful job Ariana!!

Great pictures, I love them all but my favorite is the one where you can see the fire in Malir's eyes!!!! Awesome picture!!!

About your writing... Again, beautiful engrossing descriptions you have such a great ability to describe a place and the mood for your story... I really admire that...

The story of the sisters.... really sad... I really feel sorry for Shirra, I think her own father pushed her to where she is right now.... it must be really sad, difficult and frustrating that the person who is supposed to support you and understand you ends up trowing you out of your house...

I don't know why, but I don't believe Shirra killed her mother...
I really hope she didn't...

Great job as always, great chapter and very nice pictures as well!!!

Fantastic job!

Oh.. the fight between Tim and Jondak was really funny, lol :D I'm glad Ileeya didn't pay attention to them... and I'm glad they got grounded.... lol maybe next time they will learn to behave :D lol

Great job!

Astral Faery June 22, 2008 at 8:01 PM  

Pablo - Thanks! I'm so glad you liked it. Yay for you for being the first! ;)

It wasn't really that violent, but I just wanted to give a warning to those who don't like that kind of thing. Of course, this whole story is wrought in violence, lol.

Thanks for your compliments, Pablo. I truly appreciate them.

Astral Faery June 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM  

Sandy - what great comments - thanks!

My hubby is the one to thank for the reflection of fire in Malir's eyes - as I knew what I wanted but didn't know how to get it. I'm so glad he's able to help me sometimes! Some of these pictures wouldn't have been possible for me.

I'm so thrilled you think I've captured the mood - because that's really important! It's so different writing something then reading it. I know how *I* feel about it, but can I get other people to feel that way, too?

Ileeya's and Shirra's lives are definitely filled with a lot of tragedy and heartache - this is only the beginning. You'll find out more much later on.

And Tim and Jondak? Yeah, boys will be boys. And Ileeya is rolling her eyes at both of them, lol!

Thanks so much for reading!

KDSGS June 24, 2008 at 8:39 AM  

What an astonishing narrative and heart rending flashback! Well written and deeply felt, and tragic! The fire burning in Malir's eyes, fantastic!
The fire in the village, well executed, and speaking of executing, I gasped aloud when Shirra did away with Malir! (who, for some reason, reminded me of David Lee Roth of 'Van Halen' fame)
Tim was so understanding, I knew he would be! But he is also intelligent enough to be concerned.
I loved his mano a mano with Jondak, very male! It was a light-hearted turn from the flashback! I love all these emotions!
Shirra is a great villain! Love her chambers, well done!
Loved the embarrassed look on Ileeya's face during the scuffle.
A great installment Ariana, I was well riveted!!
~~Karen

Astral Faery June 24, 2008 at 11:20 AM  

Aw, thank you so much, Karen! I'm so glad you liked it. I was particulary proud of this chapter, as I think it gives the readers some of the answers they were looking for, and also shows that Tim isn't completely passive. He's a red blooded male, a little too jealous, maybe, but in my experience, most men are. I'm sure that's not true for them all, though, lol.

Thank you so much for reading!

Lorianne June 25, 2008 at 2:35 AM  

Another great chapter! It's a pity that Shirra had to go through so much - maybe she wouldn't have turned out so bad if their father had given her her space.

Poor Ileya she has been carrying the pain and the guilt of having killed her sister, when all this time her sister is alive and planning on killing her!

I had to laugh at the exchange between Tim and Jondak. I was embarrased too at Tim's reaction, so I can't imagine how Ileya must have felt lol!

Great chapter!

Colliegirl June 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM  

That was great!
Your pictures were amazing! I loved the picture of Malir's eyes and the way the blaze from the firelight shone in them! :D

The fight between Tim and Jondak was hilarious, even though they were behaving pretty childishly. I can understand how embarrassed Ileeya must have felt having two guys fight over her. Still, the guy deserved what he got. I hope Tim got him good! Maybe he knocked some common sense back into his brain! LOL!

The story about the two sisters really explained a lot. It's curious how some twins love to do everything hand in hand, and then there's the few who decide to do everything completely opposite. What a shame that Shirra chose to be like that! She must not realize or care that she may be only hurting herself, since twins often share a special bond with each other.

Shirra really is totally evil. I can hardly comprehend anyone doing such a thing to their people and to their own family! Poor Malir! He was so handsome! I loved his gorgeous green eyes! I hated to see his life ended so hopelessly! The poor guy didn't stand a chance! It was so unfair!

I hope Tim and Ileeya can somehow put a stop to this evil creature's plans... to whatever she has planned for them.

Astral Faery June 28, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

Thanks, Lorianne! Yes, things are starting to heat up now, now that Shirra is alive and plotting. Thank you for reading.

Astral Faery June 28, 2008 at 10:21 AM  

Poor Malir, indeed. What a beauty, huh? Don't worry, though, the real Malir is safe and sound - this was just an acting gig for him. I have a friend that feels so bad for all of my story characters that she's adopted them and given them a happy life in her game. We call it the Sugah's Home For Ariana's Wayward Story Sims, lol!

Shirra is as evil as they come. She has been corrupted by power and other evil influences, which you'll get to learn about later in the story. She'll stop at nothing to accomplish her goals.

Astral Faery June 29, 2008 at 7:49 AM  

I forgot to say thank you, Tamara!

Leah August 28, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

Gosh, I can't believe how much I've fallen behind!
But I'm here catching up now. :D

That was a great chapter, Ariana.
I'm sorry for Shirra now. SH emay be evil now, but she wasn't always like that. I blame her father for it. To scorn her for her interest in something he simply didn't think was good enough for one of his daughters.

Also, the way they were always grouped together; like they didn't have seperate identities.
That's horrible!

Your pics were grat, BTW, and I loved the clothes your sims were wearing in the backstory. Beautiful!

Astral Faery August 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

Thanks a bunch, Leah! I'm so happy you enjoyed it.

Yes, Shirra didn't start off evil. She was wronged on many accounts, but she didn't handle it very well, lol.

Anonymous September 18, 2008 at 8:09 AM  

Another incredible chapter my friend! Awesome back story regarding the twins! FABULOUS pics, the one with Ileeya and Malir laying by the flowers, LOVELY! Malir is GORGEOUS, loved the pic with the fire in his eyes! :wub:

WONDERFUL CHAPTER! Off to the next one! LOL! ;)

Astral Faery September 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM  

Thank you! A lot of people have been drooling over Malir (including me, lol!).

And I have to confess - my hubby had to help me with the fire in the eyes. I tried, but couldn't get the look I wanted.

WONDERFUL FREE DOWNLOADS

WONDERFUL FREE DOWNLOADS
SUGAH'S PLACE

GREAT FREE DOWNLOADS

GREAT FREE DOWNLOADS
BASIC FOR SIMS

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP